Tuesday, November 20, 2012

William's Sonoma Knockoff- Christmas Glasses

     I LOVE, absolutely LOVE Williams Sonoma.  However, I rarely shop there because of the price.  Their stuff is fantastic and absolutely beautiful, but I just can't bring myself to shell out that kind of money when I still have kids in the house who would take those beautiful things and trash them completely within minutes.  :)

     Flipping through their most recent catalog, however, I saw a set of glasses that I loved.  They had beautiful pine trees etched into the side and just screamed "Christmas".  Price for a set of 4?  Hold on to your socks... $69.95.  WOW.

     I had a quick thought, though.  Those pretty glasses didn't look so hard to make.  I had all the stuff to recreate it.  Just had to do it.

     In the end, I'm thrilled with how they turned out.  The glass on the left is from Williams Sonoma and a set of four sell for $69.95.  The one on the right is my recreation, and a set of four cost me a measly $4.  SCORE!


     To recreate them.  I used 4 glasses that I picked up at the dollar store for $1 each.  I also had a free sample of Series 351 Metallized vinyl in silver from Oracal that I had received from their website.  (Sign up for an account and you can get 5 samples per month.  Great way to try out new vinyl.  I'm now dying to get more of this stuff.)

     To get the artwork, I uploaded the .jpg image of the Williams Sonoma glasses into the Silhouette software and used the trace feature to select and trace the trees.  I don't have a specific formula or set of rules for this, I just mess with it until it "feels" right.  Once I had a good trace, I deleted all of the super tiny dots that wouldn't be easy to vinyl on, enlarged the middle tree, and played with the sizing and placement of the other trees until I was satisfied.  I then replicated it to have four... one for each glass.

     After that, it was just a matter of sending it to the Silhouette to cut.  I used a blade setting of 2 and lowered the speed by one (down to 8, I believe... whatever is one less than the normal vinyl setting) because the cut is very detailed.

     When the Silhouette was finished cutting, I weeded out the part of the vinyl that I didn't want to adhere to the glass.  Applied transfer tape, and then transferred it to the glass.  Peeled back the tape... and had my new Christmas-y set of glasses!

     Sometimes it pays to be cheap.  ;)



1 comment: