I finally came up with this:
|Close-up of "tracking party"|
|Close-up of "puppy love"|
To make this shirt, I used Simplicity Pattern P2027 (Size A), which I found at Wal-Mart for $0.99. All of my fabric was pre-washed and then ironed before doing anything.
Follow the pattern and finish the main part of the shirt. Then, you'll start embellishing.
|Shirt ready to be embellished.|
To get the silhouettes, I did a lot of image Googling. The extent of my drawing ability is limited to stick people, so if the person wasn't in the right position, I didn't even attempt to alter it. I searched high and low for law enforcement photos, running people, etc. Some were pictures of actual people, others were free vector images. Once I found the images I wanted, I scaled them to size and printed them off. It may take a few tries. You should see the number of "wardens" that I had to print. It was ridiculous. Also, the only law enforcement guy I found in the "holding the leash" position was insanely large so I had to give him an Xacto tummy tuck or you wouldn't have seen his hand.
Once you've got your silhouette images, cut them out using a Fiskars swivel knife. For some reason, the PX didn't have a regular Xacto knife, but this is like a miniature version and it worked okay on the paper. I cut out the silhouettes, making slight modifications as needed.
Now it was time for the Steam-a-Seam (S.A.S.). I used the sticky-back stuff to keep the fabric in place while I cut it.
Then, I used more S.A.S. and put a scrap of green fabric on, the same way that I did with the black fabric. I freehand cut some grass and set those aside as well.
Now comes the fun part. Laying it all out on your shirt and moving the pieces around. Find positions that you like and then seal it in place by ironing it. Read the back of your S.A.S for specific instructions. I pressed the front about 15 seconds, let it cool a tad, and then pressed through the back. Those suckers are STUCK.
Once you've got your silhouettes in place, you can add buttons and do your hand embroidery. I hand embroidered the collar and leash (adding a metal bead on each of "Ol' Red's" collars to look like a tag), and the bow collar on the female dog. Buttons were hand sewn and the rose on the front of the shirt was attached.